CoverGirl Lash Blast Volume Waterproof in Very Black has been my default mascara of choice for a while. No matter how many high end mascaras I try, I always end up reaching for this funky orange tube. I use Very Black, which is... very black.
- Drugstore, so pretty cheap and widely available (RRP $17.95 in Australia grrr, but about half that in the US)
- Easy application - I was originally apprehensive about the scary-looking rubbery bristles on the wand, but they're great for separating lashes and ensuring it's clump-free in only a couple of strokes
- Very Black is definitely very black, and doesn't go ashy as it dries like some other mascaras.
- Makes lashes look plump and thick, without looking crunchy.
- Holds a curl very well - I've had a few mascaras destroy my carefully curled eyelashes before my eyes. This one doesn't, at all, and it doesn't even change the shape of the curl. Win!
- Long wear, doesn't crumble over the day. Also very waterproof - it doesn't budge!
- Annoying to remove. Regular "gentle" makeup remover doesn't quite cut it, I've had most success with two-phase oil-on-water style removers (Garnier's one works well), or even extra virgin olive oil. It's best if you apply to a pad and hold it over your eye for 20 seconds to help it dissolve.
I've heard that the non-waterproof version is equally good, without the removal difficulty, but I'm wary of all non-waterproof mascaras due to my terrible allergies and tendency to cry over really lame things (never reading Jonathan Safran Foer on public transport ever again).
For US readers, P&G's eStore have great deals on CoverGirl and other brands (such as Olay) for the holidays - 15% off for new customers, free shipping on orders over $25, and $15 mail rebate when you spend over $50 on beauty! Lash Blast Volume Waterproof is here - and you get a free Nail Gloss with your purchase!
This post was sponsored by BlogHer and P&G, which did not affect my opinion. For more information, see Disclosure Policy