Recently I realised that I had close to no going-out shoes, so I went on a desperate hunt for some ridiculously bright and redonkulously big shoes. I came up with these.
They’re some of the most comfortable heels I’ve ever worn. But I felt like I also needed a ridiculously bright, redonkulously big manicure to match. The Lab Muffin hates to be a fashion victim, but if this doesn’t fall under the category of colour blocking, I don’t know what does.
If you’ve had any experience doing multi-coloured nails, you’re probably well aware of this unbreakable law: for sharp lines, do the light colours first. I made the mistake of thinking I could fix up a line by painting yellow over pink... 3 coats later, I wiped the nail clean and started over.
Ulta3 Honolulu - bright yellow
Sally Hansen Hard as Nails Xtreme Wear Sun Kissed - true orange
Ulta3 Speed Dry Sunset Coral - fluoro orangey pink
Franken of Ulta3 Speed Dry Berry/Ulta3 Midnight/Ulta3 Lily White (5:1:1) - I didn’t have any purple cremes that weren’t on the red side of the spectrum, so I quickly frankened my own. Without the Lily White it was a bit too translucent and blackish, and since this was my dark final layer, I needed something solid.
I started off with CND Stickey, then 1 coat of Honolulu over the whole nail. I then added 2 coats over approximately a quarter of the nail.
Honolulu is one of those colours that is super streaky with the first coat, then magically becomes smooth after 2 more coats.
I originally had the placement of purple and orange swapped, but after doing my left hand I decided that the pink and orange blended into each other a bit too much and started over. Happily, having the purple diagonal from the yellow meant I could do the pink and orange simultaneously.
When doing cleanup, I also forgot to sweep from the lighter colour to the darker colour along the cuticle. It wasn’t too hard to fix, but it did cause a little moment of panic.
I found I could just use the nail polish bottle brush for everything except the purple. I used my cleanup brush for this (it’s actually an old eyeliner brush). It wasn’t too fiddly - I was very careful to get the corners of the four quarters to meet up though.
Final coat of Seche Vite, and voila! Done.
This was a relatively easy manicure, considering how eyecatching it is.
When you look at it from one side, it looks like a weird French manicure...
...and when you look at it from the other, it looks like candy corn! Hee.
Hope you liked them!